It can be extremely hard to find skincare and makeup products that work well with oily skin. If you are someone like me, I get so oily to the point where my makeup just slides right off within the hour! But, since using these products it has actually reduced the amount of oil my skin produces, along with not wearing makeup as much and letting my skin breathe. As some you may know, oily skin also means more likely to break out as well because it’s so easy for bacteria and dirt to slide around and adhere to your skin. I decided to compile a list of products that I use almost daily to help keep track of what I use while helping you guys who also have either combo or oily skin.
1. MAKE UP REMOVER: Find one that is oil free. I have used both Neutrogena Night Calming Wipes as well as Nivea Gentle Wipes. They are great and leave my skin feeling good before I cleanse. Although, I JUST received a brand new makeup cloth called Makeup Eraser and essentially it is a reusable cloth that lasts between 3-5 years, and instead of wasting all of these ordinary makeup wipes (which by the way – is the 3rd most wasteful item to date) you just put some warm water on this cloth and it does the rest!! I find that taking off your makeup is truly an essential part to your routine as to not leave any dirt or makeup residue behind. These wipes have been great especially because I have sensitive skin!
2. CLEANSER: Soap & Glory, this stuff is amazing and I love that it also has Vitamin C because that stuff is great for your skin!! I also love that it is also a bit of an exfoliating facial cleanser while not being too harsh. The link I have provided is for Amazon, which is very quick and convenient to order from but I believe that Shoppers Drug Mart sells it for a bit cheaper if you have one nearby. I haven’t seen them at any Walmarts or anywhere else really. Definitely pick it up if you’re in the market for a new cleanser – this one is my ride or die!
3. TONER: I absolutely LOVE the Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toner. It is a great product that has truly helped even out my skin tone while helping to contain my oils. Truly an essential! I browsed through Amazon to find you guys a link, but it sells for a lot more on Amazon. The best place to get this toner would either be from Deciem or Sephora, where it is around $7-10 max. Another great toner is from the Inkey List, they are based in the U.S. but are very very similiar to The Ordinary, especially with their affordable price point!
4. NIACINAMIDE: I use Niacinamide about 3-4 times per week and usually at night. I tend to only use a cleanser, toner and moisturizer in the morning to leave my skin feeling light and not loaded with different products. But I use Niacinamide at night along with the rest of my skincare essentials. Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B-3, an essential nutrient. A B-3 deficiency can lead to disorders of the skin, kidneys, and brain. Some people use this product daily, morning and night, to clear any congestion, redness, minimize pores and overall balance their complexion. Figure out what your skin likes and build a routine according to that.
5. LACTIC ACID: Currently, I am using the Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% by The Ordinary and I only use this in the evenings about 3 times per week. Lactic Acid can be a bit harsh on sensitive skin, but it is great to work up to introducing your skin to different acids. Most people have reviewed that this lactic acid is actually more gentle than the glycolic acid toner, so this is a great introductory product. It is mainly used to exfoliate the skin, help with fading pigmentation and scarring while leaving the skin glowy and healthy. Make sure to moisturize afterwards to lock in any hydration.
6. MOISTURIZER: I am currently curing the Tarte H2O moisturizer and has more of a jelly-like consistency. The full sized product lasts so long because you only need two pea sized amounts for your entire face. A little goes a long way and it makes my skin feel so refreshed, hydrated and moisturized. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it on Amazon at all so I have linked it to the Sephora website. It can be quite pricey, but it lasts SO long!
7. FACE MASK: I decided to splurge and get the Summer Fridays Overtime Mask and it is definitely an exfoliating mask – but I need to tell you guys…WORTH THE MONEY. My skin has never felt so smooth and refreshed. I love the smell, the feel of it going on, the massage – everything about this face mask is perfect and I couldn’t be happier. The only downside is the price tag, but so far the bottle is lasting quite awhile because I only do this mask once per week. It has truly made a difference in my complexion, the brightness of my skin and even my boyfriend (you know men!) even noticed how much smoother my skin felt.
8. MOISTURIZER FOR SPOTS: Sometimes I will get really painful pimples that need a different kind of moisturizer to treat and soothe. I have been loving this First Aid Beauty mask because it is more of a cream that helps to calm the spot while providing moisture and relief. The creamy mask helps relieve the appearance of redness, dehydration, irritation, stress, and tightness. The star ingredient, Arnica, is said to have skin-supporting properties that help soothe and smooth. I don’t use it as a full on mask, but rather a spot treatment. I have also heard this does wonders for people with rosacea as well! Give it a try.
9. Rose Hip Seed Oil: I have recently added this organic cold-pressed rose hip seed oil to my routine. I tend to use it 2-3 times per week before bed, as it is an oil so not necessarily made to put under or over makeup. The instructions have said to put it on nightly, but I don’t like putting oils on my skin that often yet. It aids in moisturizing, treating wrinkles, brightening and evening out skin tone. Rose hip seed oil is harvested from the seeds of rose bushes, and is full of vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids which overall helps support healthy skin above all else.
10. SUNSCREEN: It is so important to make sure you wear sunscreen especially on your face. But, I have had quite a difficult time trying to find a facial sunscreen that I actually want to wear. I don’t want one that provides a white cast, is oily, thick or just overall feels icky. I received a trial size of this FAB mineral sunscreen and I’m not looking back! This sunscreen does not leave a white cast at all, and when you open it – the sunscreen looks tinted. But, it doesn’t tint your skin really, it feels super smooth to put on and doesn’t leave your skin feel greasy. I love it, and it has spf 30! Sephora has it listed for $45 CAD, but they also have a whole bag called the Fab Four which features the sunscreen, cleanser, facial radiance pads, and an ultra repair cream for $50CAD. I think that’s truly a better deal.
Most likely, I won’t be switching up my routine for awhile as my skin has really loved this one. But I am sure I will be adding to the list and possibly adding different serums. If you are subscribed to me on Youtube you will soon see an updated skincare routine where I show you how I use these products and what order to use them in! Stay tuned for more and if you have any questions feel free to hit my dms!
Stay well! XO