So, thanks to the lovely COVID-19, most of us have all online classes or at least a majority of online. Nonetheless, we still need to treat this semester like a real and true semester. We still have assignments to do, exams to study for and a future to work towards. So, let’s get into the back to school essentials to make those goals a lot easier to achieve!
Backpack. So, you may not want to purchase a backpack for this semester because of it being mostly online courses etc. BUT, have you ever worked in a coffee shop? A library? At a friend’s house? How do you expect to haul your books and laptop around? You can find this perfect bag here. It’s a super simple bag with all the necessities you need including a smaller bag that can be double as a pencil case or even a travel makeup bag! It also has a super convenient USB port to connect your power bank too (not included).
2. Pens. Okay, how have I lost all of my pens over the years? It’s actually insane. But, this 24 pack of assorted colours actually excites me. Pens get me so hyped for school because I love note taking and this pack is amazing because now I can note take in all different colours making it easier to study!!! Anyways, click here for these colourful babies.
3. Desk Organizer. Let’s face it, we need to organize that mess. If we’re going to be home all day everyday working at our desk, we need to keep it tidy or things are going to get misplaced and then the anxiey is really going to start pumping. I tried to look for a cute and affordable desk organizer because I’m not a huge fan of those mesh black ones (you know the ones). So I found this one for about $40 and it looks SO clean and well kept. It’s perfect.
4. And then if you’re a freak like me, I like everything to match. So I found this matching monitor stand (I use it for my laptop) and it is super cute side by side! They offer a money back guarantee, so these are no joke!
5. Laptop adjustable riser. This is such a great alternative to a desk riser which tend to be super expensive.. If you’ve been wanting to stand more (because it’s better for you), then I suggest trying out this laptop stand adjustable riser. You can use it while you’re in bed or on top of your desk! Stop slouching and create a better posture for yourself.
6. Notebooks are definitely an essential. I have always opted for Hilroy because of the price, but I found some pretty great notebooks for a steal from AmazonBasics. It comes in a pack of 6 and they are all different colours. These are also all hole-punched so you can add them to your binders if needed. You can get all 6 notebooks for under $20
7. Academic planner, how could I forget that? It’s probably my favourite thing on this list. I found this super cute, large workstyle planner for a pretty decent price and it comes in other colours and sizes as well. It has everything from weekly overviews to tabbed months making it easier to flip to. One of my favourite parts of this planner is the space at the top of each month where you can write down your priorities – super helpful.
8. These highlighters are super cute! Not your typical highlighters, these are pastel coloured so your notes look way better and less dull! These highlighters are also chunky, so easy to control and hold as well as they are pretty smudge proof against a variety of different inks!
I hope this list helped with some online shopping as well as prepares you for this upcoming semester! Good luck everyone, let’s kill it. If you use any of the links provided, tag me on IG @sambeanaxox, I’d love to see what you guys pick up!
So, you have finally pulled yourself apart from that toxic person in your life – or maybe things just weren’t meant to be, or perhaps both? Well, the rules are very similar when it comes to getting over an ex that you aren’t meant to be with and have both agreed to move on, and a toxic ex that you should avoid at all costs because they will make your life hell.
So the first thing that you need to do might be one of the most painful – the pictures. You gotta take them off your phone, and I am not saying you have to delete them all! Just import them to your computer and save them as memories, because it’s true – they are! But, having such easy contact with these photos are nothing but a bad idea. Looking at memories of when times were good and things weren’t messy often clouds our better judgement.
Second, if you find yourself having a difficult time resisting the urge to text them – it’s time to block. Don’t overthink it, you are doing this for yourself and your sanity.
My third tip would be to try and surround yourself with friends and continuously fill your schedule up so that you aren’t alone- at least for the first few weeks or so. I found that I felt great until I got home and went into my room where I truly felt alone with my own thoughts. Try to facetime friends and family, pick up a hobby, work work work! Anything to get your mind off of it.
Fourth tip, FIND YOURSELF. This is the time to really focus in on YOU. Who are you? Do you have hobbies? Do you like things that weren’t because of your partner? What are your morals? Do you have goals? It’s time to work on yourself and focus on bettering yourself and accomplishing your goals. Pick a goal and really put in the effort to accomplish it. Journal your thoughts and try to get to know yourself as best as you can. You are so important, when is a better time to get to know who you truly are than now?
My final tip would be to move on. Yep, easier said than done. Well, I don’t mean get into another relationship (please don’t do this) but don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and have some fun. It’s another way to distract yourself, while also having fun and meeting new people. Ever heard the phrase “get over by getting under”? It’s a phrase for a reason, I’m just saying.
Don’t be afraid to really confide in your friends and family, but get yourself out of that rut as fast as you can. You will be okay, this too shall pass.
It can be extremely hard to find skincare and makeup products that work well with oily skin. If you are someone like me, I get so oily to the point where my makeup just slides right off within the hour! But, since using these products it has actually reduced the amount of oil my skin produces, along with not wearing makeup as much and letting my skin breathe. As some you may know, oily skin also means more likely to break out as well because it’s so easy for bacteria and dirt to slide around and adhere to your skin. I decided to compile a list of products that I use almost daily to help keep track of what I use while helping you guys who also have either combo or oily skin.
1. MAKE UP REMOVER: Find one that is oil free. I have used both Neutrogena Night Calming Wipes as well as Nivea Gentle Wipes. They are great and leave my skin feeling good before I cleanse. Although, I JUST received a brand new makeup cloth called Makeup Eraser and essentially it is a reusable cloth that lasts between 3-5 years, and instead of wasting all of these ordinary makeup wipes (which by the way – is the 3rd most wasteful item to date) you just put some warm water on this cloth and it does the rest!! I find that taking off your makeup is truly an essential part to your routine as to not leave any dirt or makeup residue behind. These wipes have been great especially because I have sensitive skin!
2. CLEANSER: Soap & Glory, this stuff is amazing and I love that it also has Vitamin C because that stuff is great for your skin!! I also love that it is also a bit of an exfoliating facial cleanser while not being too harsh. The link I have provided is for Amazon, which is very quick and convenient to order from but I believe that Shoppers Drug Mart sells it for a bit cheaper if you have one nearby. I haven’t seen them at any Walmarts or anywhere else really. Definitely pick it up if you’re in the market for a new cleanser – this one is my ride or die!
3. TONER: I absolutely LOVE the Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toner. It is a great product that has truly helped even out my skin tone while helping to contain my oils. Truly an essential! I browsed through Amazon to find you guys a link, but it sells for a lot more on Amazon. The best place to get this toner would either be from Deciem or Sephora, where it is around $7-10 max. Another great toner is from the Inkey List, they are based in the U.S. but are very very similiar to The Ordinary, especially with their affordable price point!
4. NIACINAMIDE: I use Niacinamide about 3-4 times per week and usually at night. I tend to only use a cleanser, toner and moisturizer in the morning to leave my skin feeling light and not loaded with different products. But I use Niacinamide at night along with the rest of my skincare essentials. Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B-3, an essential nutrient. A B-3 deficiency can lead to disorders of the skin, kidneys, and brain. Some people use this product daily, morning and night, to clear any congestion, redness, minimize pores and overall balance their complexion. Figure out what your skin likes and build a routine according to that.
5. LACTIC ACID: Currently, I am using the Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% by The Ordinary and I only use this in the evenings about 3 times per week. Lactic Acid can be a bit harsh on sensitive skin, but it is great to work up to introducing your skin to different acids. Most people have reviewed that this lactic acid is actually more gentle than the glycolic acid toner, so this is a great introductory product. It is mainly used to exfoliate the skin, help with fading pigmentation and scarring while leaving the skin glowy and healthy. Make sure to moisturize afterwards to lock in any hydration.
6. MOISTURIZER: I am currently curing the Tarte H2O moisturizer and has more of a jelly-like consistency. The full sized product lasts so long because you only need two pea sized amounts for your entire face. A little goes a long way and it makes my skin feel so refreshed, hydrated and moisturized. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it on Amazon at all so I have linked it to the Sephora website. It can be quite pricey, but it lasts SO long!
7. FACE MASK: I decided to splurge and get the Summer Fridays Overtime Mask and it is definitely an exfoliating mask – but I need to tell you guys…WORTH THE MONEY. My skin has never felt so smooth and refreshed. I love the smell, the feel of it going on, the massage – everything about this face mask is perfect and I couldn’t be happier. The only downside is the price tag, but so far the bottle is lasting quite awhile because I only do this mask once per week. It has truly made a difference in my complexion, the brightness of my skin and even my boyfriend (you know men!) even noticed how much smoother my skin felt.
8. MOISTURIZER FOR SPOTS: Sometimes I will get really painful pimples that need a different kind of moisturizer to treat and soothe. I have been loving this First Aid Beauty mask because it is more of a cream that helps to calm the spot while providing moisture and relief. The creamy mask helps relieve the appearance of redness, dehydration, irritation, stress, and tightness. The star ingredient, Arnica, is said to have skin-supporting properties that help soothe and smooth. I don’t use it as a full on mask, but rather a spot treatment. I have also heard this does wonders for people with rosacea as well! Give it a try.
9. Rose Hip Seed Oil: I have recently added this organic cold-pressed rose hip seed oil to my routine. I tend to use it 2-3 times per week before bed, as it is an oil so not necessarily made to put under or over makeup. The instructions have said to put it on nightly, but I don’t like putting oils on my skin that often yet. It aids in moisturizing, treating wrinkles, brightening and evening out skin tone. Rose hip seed oil is harvested from the seeds of rose bushes, and is full of vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids which overall helps support healthy skin above all else.
10. SUNSCREEN: It is so important to make sure you wear sunscreen especially on your face. But, I have had quite a difficult time trying to find a facial sunscreen that I actually want to wear. I don’t want one that provides a white cast, is oily, thick or just overall feels icky. I received a trial size of this FAB mineral sunscreen and I’m not looking back! This sunscreen does not leave a white cast at all, and when you open it – the sunscreen looks tinted. But, it doesn’t tint your skin really, it feels super smooth to put on and doesn’t leave your skin feel greasy. I love it, and it has spf 30! Sephora has it listed for $45 CAD, but they also have a whole bag called the Fab Four which features the sunscreen, cleanser, facial radiance pads, and an ultra repair cream for $50CAD. I think that’s truly a better deal.
Most likely, I won’t be switching up my routine for awhile as my skin has really loved this one. But I am sure I will be adding to the list and possibly adding different serums. If you are subscribed to me on Youtube you will soon see an updated skincare routine where I show you how I use these products and what order to use them in! Stay tuned for more and if you have any questions feel free to hit my dms!
CBD is the new craze. With the legalization of marijuana in Canada, there has been a lot more information being released regarding the health benefits especially CBD. I was skeptical about trying CBD as I have diagnosed anxiety disorder and I have heard through the grapevine that CBD can work wonders for anxiety. So I took the leap.
I decided to trust a Canadian brand called Birch + Fog because they are so informative and open about their products, lab results, where they get their CBD from etc. Their website is extremely helpful if you are new to CBD (like me) and they explain it in a way that’s easy to understand and grasp without being confused about all the science etc. They also have an Instagram page where you can get the inside scoop on deals and if you have any questions they are really quick with responding via direct message!
So, why CBD? Why not just smoke weed? Well, CBD (cannabidiol) is an all-natural cannabis compound that provides all of the medicinal benefits of cannabis without the feeling of being “high”. For people like me, I don’t smoke because I get very paranoid and it actually heightens my anxiety. But, CBD provides a calming effect and I love the all-natural compounds compared to prescription medication such as pills etc that can give you a ton of rough side effects depending on which medication you’re on.
When choosing a method, it’s important to think about how fast you want it to take effect. Tinctures take around 20 minutes to take effect and are pretty discreet, but some people aren’t too keen on the taste. Edibles such as gummies can take up to 1-2 hours but this also depends and varies from person to person. Vape pens are almost immediate and take effect within minutes – this is my favourite method because it is so small, discreet, tastes fine and is easy to put in my purse for on the go. But, I have heard that tinctures can be so great and easy to use as well and most people will drop it in their coffee in the morning as some of the tinctures are pretty tasteless. Or, you can drop it under your tongue if you don’t have much time. I love that all of these methods aren’t harsh at all and are very quick and easy to use while also being convenient to take with you in your bag etc.
The most important part is to define what your needs are and the dosage you should be taking. It’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor or a health professional before getting started on a new form of medication, even if it is natural. They will help you decide which one is best for you and the correct dosage! I have heard the the tincture drops are best for before bed to aid with your sleep, especially if you are like me and have multiple nights that require over an hour just to fall asleep. Do your own research before committing to a product and read reviews.
Hopefully this helped a bit with understanding CBD and what you should look for. If you shop at Birch + Fog, you can use code 20SAM to get $20 off of any order of $50 or more, they always have ton of deals going on so keep an eye out and don’t hesitate to reach out to me via Instagram if you have any questions.
Thinking about your past relationships, it can be so easy to point out your ex-partner’s flaws and issues. They were the reason it all went to shit, right? They weren’t the best partner – they had their own issues. You hope that they fix them for their next relationship, whoever that poor sucker is. But wait – I said that is the easy way. It can be so easy to point those out, but we often don’t take very much time to truly look in the mirror and figure out how we can better ourselves and become better partners. Often, both partners in a relationship can point out the other’s flaws or issues but they fail to point out their own, or if they do – work to change it.
Taking a step back is the first and most important part of being a better partner. Listen to what your partner is saying or what was said, but do not get caught up in it. Try to weed out the actual issue that was at hand. Maybe your partner found that you were being too “bossy”? Or, you were on your phone too much? If things like that sprung up an argument, take it into consideration. For example, try not to be on your phone as much – make a point of putting your phone down during meals, while talking with people etc. The point is – take time to listen and work on the issue even if you didn’t think it was your issue at first. A relationship needs communication and compromise.
When getting into a new relationship – focus on your partner and keep in mind the things that went wrong in your other relationship but be very careful not to let it weigh you down or interfere with this current relationship. Starting over with someone new can feel like a fresh start! Don’t let your previous relationship ruin the excitement – but keep a few tid bits in the back of your head to potentially avoid future issues. It’s all about growth.
However, I think that the real solution to becoming a better partner is ultimately becoming a better person in general. Getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, eating healthier – these things are actually all very valid for ensuring a healthy relationship. Often, if a partner is lacking in any of these areas – it can make them more irritable, off balanced etc. essentially leading to petty arguments that might not have even happened if they felt balanced. Also, not to mention that mental health plays a massive role in all relationships including friendships. So, really take those steps to bettering your mental and physical health to become an overall better person.
Another good idea to help bring the fun back into the relationship is to do something new! If your relationship consists of Netflix and eating out, try taking a hike together or trying a new hobby like painting, biking, playing pool or cards. The point is – do more together and enjoy each other’s company. It doesn’t have to consist of a lot of money or travelling to a different country – even simple things like taking nightly walks together would be beneficial to your relationship.
If there are more serious issues that are reoccurring in your relationship, it could be a good idea to get counselling to root through the problems and get that spark flickering again. Love shouldn’t feel like a battle. Embrace each other – you are on the same team.
I have had enough of hearing people rebuttal and try to argue the #BlackLivesMatter with “Ahem, no…It’s ALL lives matter.” AHEM, no. We never said ONLY black lives matter. We never said that white lives don’t matter or that non-black lives don’t matter. We never said that black lives matter more than other lives. We are simply focusing on the issue that is at hand.
A terrible and tragic event happened that cost George Floyd his life. The officer that arrested him and kneeled on his head for over 9 minutes, while he begged that he couldn’t breathe. He begged until he couldn’t any longer. After countless protests and media, that officer has been arrested. But this doesn’t mean the end.
There are lives that have been taken that we should also not forget. Tragedies are happening in our own backyards. People have become afraid of police, afraid of government. Who do you call when the police are the ones murdering?
There truly isn’t any words that I could write that would be enough to explain my sadness and condolences. I am horrified and angry at our corrupt government and world. Racism is still very VERY real. The colour of your skin should not make a damn difference but it does. When I get pulled over, I am scared of getting a speeding ticket. When POC get pulled over, they are scared of getting killed. That is the difference.
We must use our privilege and SPEAK UP. Don’t just repost an instagram picture and call it a day.
Yeah, yeah. We have all heard it. “Live your best life!” or “How to be a Better Person!” but have we truly looked within and TRIED? And I mean, TRY.
During this time, I started off very motivated and ready to hit my goals because of all the time I had suddenly obtained. However, I fell off and slipped into an unhealthy comfort zone. I stopped working out, I was on my phone and laptop 90% of the day, I wasn’t drinking enough water or feeding myself properly, and definitely wasn’t sleeping properly either. Sometimes I would stay in bed almost all day long, creating back pain and growing depression.
But, I started thinking to myself, “what the hell am I doing with my life?” and it just kind of clicked, after about 4-5 times of thinking that same thought. Finally, I decided it’s okay to lounge sometimes but I need to be productive and take care of myself. The best way to live a better life is to create your better self. The person you want to become, it might seem like a long way to go but it’s actually quicker than it seems.
After deciding to kick my butt into gear and start my daily exercising and yoga (newbie here!!), I decided that it was also time to nourish my body. I love making smoothies so I would try and make a smoothie after every workout to fuel my body and give it protein and energy. Exercise and diet is the most important part of all of this, but what fuels that is MINDSET. Boy oh boy, my pinterest brain was tingling when I decided to search up some quotes to motivate me. I created an entire board of motivational and inspirational quotes that revolve around becoming the best version of myself, self care & self love and the keys to success. It is all about the mindset, ladies and gentlemen.
This blog isn’t necessarily a step by step guide, but more of a tool to help fuel your motivation. My grandfather always reminded me, “If it’s gotta be, it’s up to me!” and I live by that.
What are some strategies you do to live a better life and become the best version of yourself?
If you’d like some inspo, follow my pinterest here – I have absolutely loaded it with valuable content! 💛
So, you’re 20 something years old and it’s really set in that it’s time to get your savings together. Saving money can be extremely hard for some, or most, but if you go about it the right way – you won’t even realize you’re putting money away!
The first step to start saving is to develop a budget plan. I did mine in Excel because the spreadsheet makes it super easy and clean. But there are plenty of printables as well that look nicer, and you can print it out and hang it up in your room or on the fridge.
Once your budget plan is complete, or near complete – you need to think about how much you’re going to set aside each month for savings depending on how much money is left over after expenses are taken out. A good start is to put around $100 a month away (or more if you can!) and also set up a “simply save” on your bank account. In my experience, TD Canada Trust has this feature and I’m sure other banks do as well. Essentially, every time you use your card – it will take a certain amount in a separate transaction and transfer it over. It can be as small as 50 cents, so you really don’t even notice you’re saving – but it adds up!
The third step is to make money work for you. This can be done a few different ways such as investing into mutual funds, GICs etc. It is a good idea to talk to a financial advisor about these investments to ensure that you are getting the proper advice and care for your money.
A bonus step would be to create another form of income other than your main source (your job), preferably passive income. Passive income is income that requires little to no effort to earn and maintain, which can come from rental properties (you own the property and rent it out to people), royalties such as writing your own book, partnerships etc.
READ! Yes, that’s right. Read as many books as you can about money and financial advice/freedom. There are several books out there that have changed lives and they could potentially change yours as well! It is great to have knowledge, especially in your 20’s. Some good books to read that are also on Amazon are:
Broke Millennial by Erin Lowry – it is a great book for beginners who feel clueless about budgeting and getting out of debt. Also, this book is aimed at 20-30 year olds, which is different compared to some books that can be hard to read or interpret.
The Total Money Makeoverby Dave Ramsey – this book is incredible and features his famous “seven baby steps” to building wealth and getting rid of debt. A must read!
Rich Dad, Poor Dadby Robert Kiyosaki – this book will offer personal finance education to help you learn about cash flow, real estate, investing, how to start a business etc. It truly teaches you what kind of mindset you should have if you truly want to be rich/wealthy.
6. Something that has saved me more money than I thought it would is not buying coffee when I’m out, or even any fast food for that matter. Make coffee at home if you’re a coffee drinker – and grocery shop frugally. I found that downloading a price-matching app saved me even more money as well whenever I went out shopping!
7. Thrift shopping versus shopping fast fashion or “sales”. If you truly need new clothes, try thrifting. But, before you do – you should try and sell the clothes that you don’t need or don’t fit anymore. Consider selling them to the thrift store to get your new items for cheaper (but in my experience, I have made more money selling them by myself than giving them to the thrift store, it just takes a bit longer)
8. I have listed books above that are from amazon, but once the library becomes available again – use the library!!! I repeat. Use the library! FREE. BOOKS.
9. Pick up a second job or business. In my experience, I made relatively good money as a pizza delivery driver from tips. It was cash in my pocket at the end of every night, and you can save up and put it in a jar or the bank. A great second job to do on weekends or nights! You could even try delivering for Uber Eats or Skipthedishes if that interests you more, just do some research to see how much they pay etc.
10. Look at the things that you spend your money on. Do you get your nails done? Buy a bottle of nail polish and do your own nails at home – manicures are not essential. Do you get eyelash extensions? These can be pretty costly, it might be time to take a break for awhile. What about subscriptions? Take out any that are unnecessary that you can live without. I know that I used to have a FabFitFun box and an Ipsy bag, that I considered to be cheap subscriptions – but they add up and take away from your savings! If you truly want to save money and live a better life – you need to make sacrifices and act your wage. Buying things that you don’t need and that are too expensive to maintain can lead to even more debt and the wrong path towards success.
Overall, it’s a great idea to talk to a financial advisor. They will give you proper advice based on your situation and change it along the way. Happy saving! If you have any suggestions/questions, comment down below I’d love to see them!! Cheers to financial freedom.
I can’t thank you enough for the roof over my head, the food in my belly, the clean clothes, the toys, the hugs, the kisses and the laughter. You have given your all being my mom. Through every obstacle and challenge, you always seem to push through and you have shown me what determination means. You have shown me what strength is. I couldn’t name a more genuine, kind hearted, selfless and strong woman than you. I hope one day, when I have little ones, that I will be at least half of the mom you are to me.
Mom, I love that we have so much in common. I love playing games with you, watching our favourite tv shows and gossiping about the latest news. Even though I am grown, I am still your little girl and I will always be a mamas girl, especially with an amazing one like you.
From teaching me to walk to teaching me to drive, you have kept your patience (and obviously lost it sometimes too hehe) but you have always encouraged me to keep on trying. I keep your encouragement with me every single day.
When I have a hard day, or feel so anxious I can’t stand it. I know who I can call. I know that you will always be there, to comfort and to make me laugh. Through the breakups and the bullies, you have always tried your hardest to protect me. You never fail to remind me that I am beautiful and stronger than the words others say. You have always been the mama bear everyone wishes they had.
Mom, you are my best friend and I am so incredibly thankful for you. I love you with all my heart.
Have you ever felt like your brain was becoming more and more tense by the second? Racing with thoughts, unable to concentrate on tasks, conversations, work… It’s a daily struggle for many people, including me. I have struggled with my anxiety for years, even before I knew what it was. I just thought it was completely normal, that everyone gets outbursts sometimes, everyone cries over minor things, everyone is unable to control their thoughts and worries…This happened to everyone and so I shouldn’t think anything of it. Wrong. It got too much, to a point where I couldn’t take it and I finally seeked help from my doctor. But, if you’re like me – medication doesn’t always do the trick and it can also take a very long time for it to even start working effectively. I have some key coping mechanisms that have helped me get through my days and also get through anxiety attacks that I feel coming on.
The most important tip to remember is that your mind needs balance. How is your mind supposed to be balanced if the rest of your body isn’t? It’s time to start eating balanced and healthier meals. Eat regular meals and ensure you are taking in lots of water.
Limit caffeine. I know this one is a total bummer especially for coffee lovers, and I still have a hard time with this too. But, instead of completely cutting it out – try to start with reducing your intake. If you drink 3 coffees per day, try 2. Caffeine is known to often aggravate anxiety and trigger anxiety/panic attacks.
If you feel an anxiety attack coming on, take a seat, and breathe deeply and slowly. I follow a breathing rule inhaling deeply for 10 seconds and then slowly exhaling for 10 seconds then repeating if necessary. It usually takes me a few times before I start to truly calm myself.
Change your focus. If you feel yourself getting irritable, uneasy, anxious etc. try to change your focus to something else. Watch a TV show, read a book, try exercising (which although can be hard to get yourself up and going, is very effective!!!)
Painting or drawing (if you like to), can help ease the mind and enable your mind to focus on the act of painting, the colours, and how soothing it can be.
Journal out your thoughts. Whenever I felt extremely overwhelmed, I would capture those thoughts and put them into poems – it’s actually where my best work came from. It’s a great way to relieve and unload your mind.
Recognize the signs. Everyone is different which means the signs could be totally different. But, recognizing the signs before an anxiety attack can truly help you to be proactive by preventing an attack, calming down before it gets too much and noticing the signs way earlier.
Stay in regular contact with friends and family, especially those who are close to you. Surround yourself with people you can open up to and talk with. Loneliness and isolation can be very hard on your mental health, especially anxiety and depression.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Therapy is becoming less and less stigmatized and is often talked about as being important even if you don’t have anxiety or depression. It can be helpful for everyday life, to enhance it and allow you to truly live your best, mentally. The truth is, you have to allow yourself to get the help you deserve and to talk about what is going on, even if it’s hard to explain.
The last tip is one that I just learned recently, and it may sound silly but it works. When you are feeling anxious, grab an ice cube from your freezer and squeeze it in your hand. The coldness immediately takes your mind off of any anxious thoughts, because it is focused on the cold shock in your hands. If you don’t have ice cubes, try cold water!
It is important to take time for yourself. Your mental state is incredibly precious and self-care goes a long way. The trick is to check in with yourself every so often, ask yourself either in your head or aloud – how am I feeling? If you feel off, proceed to ask yourself what you need at the moment. Maybe it’s as simple as a tight hug or it could be more complex and having a reoccurring issue finally be solved – whatever it is, you are capable of controlling your own thoughts and feelings. We are so strong and life can throw some heavy stuff at us, but we rise up and keep on. Isn’t that amazing?